I was thinking about the old Reuters ITN film clip we showed this year in which Project SWORD toys were displayed in London in 1967.
I realised that Project SWORD had also been on 'film' in 2014 as well. On TV to be exact, which I reported at the time. What I didn't do was point out the SWORD toys which appeared, so in the name of completeness, here goes.
As part of the build-up to the release of the documentary FILMED IN SUPERMARIONATION in UK cinemas, BBC's The One Show celebrated all things Anderson and featured the same Century 21 staff photograph sent here to the blog a few years ago by Century 21 modelmaker Alan Shubrook.
This is how the SWORD photograph would have appeared on our TV, at the end of this video I made using the You Tube clip.
This is the actual still image in close up. The BBC have cut off the SWORD toys at the bottom!
Here's what Alan sent me for the blog's first Birthday in 2009.
This is it in clean.
Jon and Amy's toy Key:
1. Zero X Lifting Body 2
2. Zero X Lifting Body 1
3. Project Sword Moon Bus
4. Captain Scarlet ball puzzle - S.P.V.
5. Captain Scarlet ball puzzle - Colonel White
6. Captain Scarlet ball puzzle - S.P.C. or M.S.V. (by elimination)
7. Captain Scarlet ball puzzle - Angel Aircraft
8. Captain Scarlet ball puzzle - Captain Scarlet
9. The Angels Beauty Set
10. The Angels Sling Bag and mirror from Beauty Set
11. Captain Scarlet Dart Gun and Target Set
12. Captain Scarlet cap gun and Holster
13. Angel aircraft toy
14. Angel Aircraft box
15. Captain Scarlet Dart Gun and Target Set
16. Project sword Dyna-soar Glider
17. Captain Scarlet Water Pistol (or possibly Dart Gun or Cap Gun)
18. Captain scarlet official wallet
19. Project Sword Moon Prospector
20. Thunderbird 2 toy
21. Project Sword Probe Force 3 Box
22. Project Sword Scramble Bug
23. Projoct Sword Apollo Saturn Rocket
24. Thunderbird 5 toy
25. Angel aircraft toy box proof sheet
26. Captain Scarlet proof sheet (S.P.V. or S.P.C. toy box )
27. Project Sword Moon Prospector
28. Tunderbird 1 toy
29. Captain Scarlet S.P.C. toy
30. Captain Scarlet S.P.C. toy
1 to 24 are 99.9% certain
25 seems to be more than a folded out box hence proof sheet
26 is a best guess but probably a proof sheet similar to 25
27 is incredibly annoying ! Looks like a Sword Moon Prospector with the dish missing and something flat stuck on instead !
28, 29 and 30 are possibly optical illusions of normal parts of the picture especially as none would be JR21 toys - if the red nose of 28 is TB1 the body is the wrong colour, if 29 is an S.P.C. the colour would seem to make it the Dinky version, if so 30 could be a Dinky S.P.V.
We've tried to use the standard terms (e.g. "Ball puzzle") given in the Dennis Nicholson Memorabilia guide, and we didn't count the costumes of the "Spectrum" pop group as they weren't commercially available!
So, albeit fleetingly, quite a few SWORD toys appeared on UK TV in 2014!
Which is the easiest to spot?
Any further thoughts readers - on any of the numbered toys?