As I often warble in about, I'm a massive super hero movie nut.
I've seen the Marvel and DC universes so often they're old friends now. I know what they're going to say and join in.
Occasionally though, if freely available online, I'll watch an outlier, a hero movie in between franchises. A ronin.
These standalones are always risky affairs, both for the film companies and the ardent fan like me.
DC are a case in point, having done it with their two hottest properties, Supe and Bats, both of whom I adore.
But ..
The two Supe and one Batman standalones are not memorable in any way, at least not for me.
I think it's the actors.
They were newly chosen after other famous actors had retired. They're complete unknowns and alas, to me, wholly forgettable.
Harsh, I know.
How do you follow Christopher Reeves and Henry Cavill, both total heavyweights of Krypton and arguably the best Supermen ever.
And How do you follow Ben Affleck as the Dark Knight, my absolute dark fave after of course, Michael Keaton.
All Perfect things.
So, The three rogue movies I'm talking about are:
Superman Returns with Brandon Routh as Superman. Who?
You would have thought in 2006 they could have given Kal-El a magnificent reboot, but Returns is awful. Everyone on screen seems bored, muted, half-asleep. There's just no umph at all. Routh's Reevesian antics are true copycatting. Alas, I slumbered and only fan curiosity will get me to go back to this Metropolis. It would take Man of Steel, 2013, to show how it's really done.
The Batman, 2022 with Robert Pattinson wearing the bat mask. Who?
Described as a gritty crime thriller I seem to recall it being filmed entirely in the dark. Other than a growling Batmobile Dodge car I remember absolutely nothing. Someone must do because there's a sequel coming. For Gotham's sake, turn the lights on!
Superman, 2025 with David Corenswet donning the red cape. Who?
I saw this last year and my memory of it is zero, zilch. Maybe Krypto the Superdog is cast. That's it. Wuff said.
OK, I'm completely biased. I am.
If I was re-marrying I would want two Best Men, Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck please, dressed in their costumes, doing their thing, diamond absolutes.
Oh Why oh why have they hung up their capes? I'm bereft.
I can't be alone.
*
PS.
In a similar way they did the same with Hell Boy. Ron Perlman's films were definitive. Why reboot them with a completely unmemorable lead?
Sorry, but for me, these franchises have long ago outlived their worth.
ReplyDeleteI want them to be fun, two dimensional comic book heros, not angst ridden, inadiquate souls, battling more against themselves than supervillains.
And, in truth, I feel I've out grown them anyway.
Ah well.
Christopher Reeves was both charming and physically right for the character. The films themselves were otherwise miscast, how was there a need for Marlon Brando escapes me.
ReplyDeleteMichael Keaton was for me miscast in that he didn't have the physical presence for an athlete without super powers.
I thought Toby Maguire was perfect for Spiderman and his first version was not only well cast but the movie was an improvement on the comic. Which for me always lacked believability. So possibly the best movie adaption of a comic book character so far.
Why does Marvel need to remake the story every few years?