I got it second hand from a friend at school who'd painted it bright yellow for some reason.
I set to work hand painting it a deep red. And that's how it's stayed for the past forty odd years, until now.
This week I carefully took it all apart and and left it overnight in a 50/50 solution of 'Dettol' antiseptic disinfectent. This works fine with plastic and doesn't make it brittle.This broke down most of the old paint, Leaving it for a further 24 hours in the solution did the trick.
The only paint left on it now is mixed with the original plastic cement, which will need to be removed by scraping and sanding.
There's still a lot of fiddly work to do, trying to make the parts fit back together with all the old glue needing to be removed. The base is in pretty bad shape as it has an indentation and crack caused by an excessive amount of glue when it was originally put together, and as well as that both the two top sections have large cracks in the plastic.
Even so, I'm looking forward to completing the project. I'm obviously not expecting the restoration to produce something mint, but if I can cheer it up and make it reasonably decent I'll be happy.