This beautiful card art for the LP Space Explorer has been cleaned up by our very own Man in Las Vegas, Mister Ed Berg. It appears with a really beautiful set of Ed's photographs of the toy itself on his own ubercool blog Toys and Stuff.
I was so intrigued by the graphics on the card that I thought I'd have a go at trying to identify the parts so here goes:
1. The strange colander-like sphere I think I've seen before - on the cover of this ANALOG magazine, The Trouble With Telstar by John Berryman from June 1963.
2. The Rocket with the rear wheel and front antenna I think is another LP toy as well, the blue rocket shown here next to the red Space Explorer in Ferryman's collection.
In fact I think the card illustration is a re-use, albeit very basic, of this LP box art
3. The small ringed planet reminds me of the LP dome car but short of that it could just be a random illustration done for the card.
4. The ring space station I have no idea about!
5. The striking zooming Dyna-Soar-like rocket in the centre of the backing card does ring a bell but my mind's gone as blank as the vastness of space.
Any ideas about the missing elements readers?