Having bagged a few fixer uppers at the boot sale yesterday I began the repairs.
Always great fun.
This Year 2000 Carlton FAB1's talking unit didn't work. Parker was muted. The three corroded batteries removed, I cleaned up the unit and sprayed a little WD4O. Alas, even with new batteries the conversation, although audible, is a mere whisper. I've a horrible feeling the WD4O ran into the talking mechanism. Ah well, it's still a new member of my growing FAB1 fleet.
Repairs were paused for a poorly hedgehog jnr. Having been found in our front room, placed back in the garden with food and water, it returned to the front door two more times during the day. Sadly, we think it's Mom is the dead hog at the side of the main road here. With alarm bells ringing, Thunderbird 2 was launched and poorly tiggywinkle was taken to the local hedgehog hospital in Castleford last night, where he'll get the best care going. Our German toddler guest was asked to name it and so 'our' hog became Erlemann, after himself. Has this happened to you? Poorly wildlife?
Back to the toys, I took apart the next one, a Chad Valley Give a Show Projector.
The original 1960s Ever Ready batteries were still inside!
and after some oil lubrication and hefty biffing (cracking the battery unit!) they came out, reluctantly. Everything cleaned up and power restored it lit up perfectly yesterday. Today nothing! Doh! I shall Chad that Valley one more time.
At 25p each I can't resist a doll which has a Bild Lilyesque face. This one had a foot missing, so some FIMO later, a new foot was fashioned. Annoyingly I overcooked it and burnt it to a crisp! It's just not my day!
With three out of three repairs a big fat failure I've resorted to photographing the other three things I bought, which simply needed a new home.
I give you a quasi- Sindy, Conan with shaking legs and a Queen Catherine Howard music box.
Oh, and a Four Feather Falls annual.
Time for a cold beer. Oops, only 11am. Make that a coffee!
*
Postscript
Not one to give up on toys and coffee in my system, I had another bash.
Bild Lillyesque got a new foot and shoe, the Projector decided to work and the FAB1 got put back together, albeit remaining silent. Two out of three ain't bad.
Glad to hear you saved that baby Hedgehog - good job! SFZ
ReplyDeleteThanks SF. Erlemann just kept coming back to the house, so hospital is the best place.
DeleteYou might try cleaning the speaker diaphraphm on FAB 1 with a q-tip. It needs to be able to vibrate cleanly and if theres dust or moisture between the plates, it wont work. Bill
ReplyDeleteGood idea Bill bi fear that WD40 has seeped into it.
Delete