Some photos I took of part of the model display at the recent Project Johnson UFO event.
Sky 1 built by Mamas Pitsillis, and studio scaled to the larger Sky 1 original surviving prop.
Large SHADO Lunar Module, built by Pete Hutton.
Skydiver model built by Sanjay Rampal.
Large remote-controlled SHADO Mobile built by Mamas Pitsillis.
Some of the other surviving props.
Harlington-Straker van, seen in some of the studio building establishing shots.
Finally, a group shot of the people who made the display possible.
From left to right: Jim Winch, Sanjay Rampal, Mamas & Linda Pitsillis, Pete Hutton and Steve Bullen.










That original UFO model familiar reader would be me, of course Scoop.
ReplyDeleteYes, it passed through my hands a decade or more ago, when The Model Unit, run by Mike Tucker, restored it for the then owner.
An absolute treasure.
It was indeed, Mish, we may have even talked about it, and the Model Unit when we've occasionally met up at Smallspace.
DeleteI forgot to mention , I was working there at the time.
ReplyDeleteAmazing Mish. Could you sense the previous modellers who had worked on that UFO? Is that the oldest prop you've handled?
DeleteIt's quite a simple model, to be honest, and more practical than visual, in a way.
DeleteMy guesse is that it was made quickly, without much attention to detail, for long shots.
It would have been made around 1969, I think.
I've handled and restored older props from Dr Who, including an original Dalek from the Hartnell era (so from 1963 or 64).
By the way, Mamas and Linda are a fabulous couple in the British Sci Fi 'modelsphere'.
ReplyDeleteThey certainly are, Mish. I was chatting to Linda about Astrophotography. She showed me a cracking picture she'd taken of Saturn a few years ago.
DeleteGolly! I wish I could have seen those models in the flesh!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'd have certainly been happy to meet up with you, Lewis. As I mentioned in my earlier post Alan Shubrook was quite taken by your letter, and your special effects background.
DeleteA fabulous array Scoop. It's incredible that these fragile UFO props have survived. Kudos to the obviously careful owners over the years. Long may they continue. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAlways a pleasure, Woodsy.
Delete