Staying in North Wales' beautiful Eryri (Snowdonia) for a few days has afforded us nights with incredibly dark skies.
Our daughter saw the biggest shooting star ever and my son in law saw loads of satellites all from the comfort of a hot tub!
I was chuffed when he pointed out two satellite's to me, both white dots of light several metres apart moving in tandem across the night.
Like a train he said. It's Starlink.
I'd never seen it before and was amazed and was gobsmacked as to how much stuff is up there in general.
I had to look it up to see what Starlink looks like.
They're sort of flat upright panels, a bit like windows in a line.
I wonder if there's a toy version?
Have you seen Starlink readers? Anything else floating round?
Wotan wades in:
Last year, on holiday in Cyprus, I was at on the balcony enjoying the night air, when I saw a star-like light ascending. Almost immediately behind came another, then another - all in all there must have been a regular spaced line of about 20 satellites, all moving in perfect formation! Took about four or five minutes for them all to cycle overhead. A few years ago, I had been sat in the same spot and a fabulous green meteor streaked across the heavens, leaving a luminous trail. Its something I never see at home, due to light pollution from the main road.


Witnessed just today the launch and deployment of 26 new Starlink satellites, brought into orbit by a very exciting Spacex Starship 14 mission. It still gives me the chills to think that I am able to witness all that live in my lifetime.
ReplyDeleteFantastic Arto. 26! Did it happen in Helsinki?
DeleteIt was on the Spacex live coverage of the Starship 14 mission.
DeleteThe Spacex coverage is amazing. A far cry from the grey, static ridden images of the moon landing. Watching the booster land is mermerising and seeing Starships fiery splashdown takes my breath away. Bill
DeleteThe missus and I visited Snowdonia last year and I was amazed at the mountainous landscapes.
ReplyDeleteI didn't see any satellites but...