Pleased with my shampoo Supercar I thought I'd have a crack at another toy I didn't have as a kid, the JR21 Quercetti Fireball XL5.
The original beauty was a simple enough rendition of the famous Gerry Anderson rocket, complete with Quercetti's famous parachute device. It came complete with a gorgeous box and sheet of adhesive stickers.
Seeing a variety of fuselage and nose-cone colourways, I opted for the classic grey and yellow with a white stripe.
I began with a short plastic tube from the Greenhouse grandkids toy pile. To this I added some plastic wings cut from a box lid and a bottle top for the exhaust. I then added a stand to help with glue positioning.
Detailing was glued to the wings and exhaustbin the form of beads and match bits.
A camping gas bottle cap was cut to shape to create the ribbed band in front of the exhaust.
A plastic fondant icing nozzle was purloined from the kitchen to make the nosecone. Plastic fins were added and intermittent detailing between them.
The nose, Fireball Jnr., was painted yellow.
The fuselage with dorsal fin was sprayed slate grey, a band of white tape was so fixed to the front, a tiny plastic blister helped out and the nose was stuck on.
A tall stand was fashioned from bits, painted grey and the rim painted yellow.
And here's the finished DIY JR21 Fireball XL5.
Hope you like it.
Here's my two recently home-made Gerry Anderson vehicles together.


















I bet if you put a little bit of weight in Junior, the model would fly really well too
ReplyDeleteI've told this story before on Moonbase, how I was lucky enough to obtain a Quercetti Fireball XL-5 back in 1966, from a mail order ad in the back of Boys Life Magazine. I mailed out the order on a Monday, and I got the toy on a Wednesday! Best week ever! SFZ
ReplyDelete