Been meaning to make this model for years, so I finally forced myself to concentrate on this one and build nothing else until it was done. Finally managed it.
This is the Federation Security Robot from Blake's 7. It must've been an unbelievably unwieldy prop because it only features in 2 episodes of the first season, despite featuring heavily in pre publicity (it even made it onto a badge!).
Not the most terrifying of designs but it did boast a scary flamethrower which must've been fun to film.
I elected not to put a working one in mine!
Model by the way is 5 foot tall.
From strength to unity,
Kevin
UK






Nice model. At first glance it looked like a giant coffee machine on steroids. That was never a show I watched so this imagery was new to me.
ReplyDeleteThanks. It probably wasn't as advanced as a coffee machine!
DeleteA safe home with this new head of security patrolling the perimeter, Kevin. Looks fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I'm not sure how bright this robot was, it fires its flamethrower in the middle of a Federation communication complex in its first episode and it misses!
DeleteNice work, Kev! Great finishes on the body surfaces. I remember in the series you always saw it from a low camera angle, so it looked big and menacing. Then at some point you had to see it interacting with people and it was titchy!
ReplyDeleteI see yours is an accurate 5 feet tall!
I assume the BBC Visual Effects Department only had so much money, so they went for the look, but economised on the scale!
Thanks, much appreciated. Yep, they did their best with it, but I suspect it must've been a right pain to film with. There are lots of photos of the season 1 cast with it and Terry Nation himself.
Delete