Hi Woodsy!
I really love Moonbase, as much as I'm being turned off Facebook and Instagram, I really enjoy the community of your blog.
I've almost got the first five puppets I need for my first filmed sequence.
As is fitting for my non-linear production schedule, I've already mocked up an Australian 60's style Daybill poster.
At that time they tended to go for hand drawn lithographic images, printed on Butcher's paper rather than photographic imagery.
As such, I'll be doing a coloured pencil tracing of my Photo, with coarse sandpaper under my sketchpad to simulate the rather crude (and charming) artwork.
I'm also including some real Australian Daybills to give you an idea of the look!
On we go,
Looey
Oz






Fantastic work Looey, I love that Churchillian puppet and it's daybill. An intriguing cocktail of statesman and Dirty Harry! Love it!
ReplyDeleteNow that looks like a fun movie. Great Daybill poster.
ReplyDeleteI was quiite surprised when I first came to Australia and discovered local daybills in a remaindered shop in Sydney's Queen Victoria Building.It was run by a wizened old woman with carrot red hair (dye). Her spruiker's call was " We're Bombing them out today!"
DeleteThe posters were very crude compared to UK standards. Instead of Offset printing, they were multi pass lithographs that more closely resembled screen prints.
The artwork was mostly done in house at the printers and was often traced off studio publicity photos. The crudeness often fights against the projected sophistication of the subjects. The 2001 poster almost looks like a pavement chalk drawing!
James Bond with his Champagne bottle looks more like a drunken thug and interestingly, the poster had an additional print run with a black censor's bar across the bottle which just made it look even more suggestive!
Those original day bills are superb too.
ReplyDelete