I saw this block print of Victorian kids in a junk shop recently. It might be called Eggy Peggy.
I instantly recognized it as Ron Embleton's work. His signature's there too. I think this is one of a suite of similar paintings Ron did.
Having grown up with TV21 and The Book of Battles I know and love his unique wonderful style.
Do you like it?
Years ago for our first blog anniversary finale, when Century 21/ JR21 Toys box art was hot on MC, I published a post about whether Ron did the illustration for the sublime Atomic Submarine Aircraft Carrier toy. His brother Gerry Embleton kindly gave his two penneth as well. You can read it on the below.
There's conjecture about the Dinky TB2 box art and Project SWORD's Hover Tank too.

Try Book Palace; https://bookpalace.com/info_re0362
ReplyDeleteSuperb books. I'd love a piece of original art by Ron too.
DeleteGerry Embleton also did a lot of military book illustrations, mostly uniforms. I have some of these.
ReplyDeleteThanks Paul. Got your pics. They look like great books.
DeleteI like Ron Embletons work a lot, I used to lobe his raunchy Penthouse strip 'Wicked Wanda' in the seventies! Looking at the old link about the Submarine Aircraft Carrier - Its certainly not by either of the Embleton bros, its way to scrappy and casually done. As Graham Bleatham suggests, its probably ben a jobbing illustrator with no direct connection to Anderson or the other toys. As to the SWORD illustrations, having recently received your Letts TV21 Diary and seen the Beetle artwork, its clear that the paintings were done by a very competant artist - but are again, not Ron Embleton. Rons work on SWORD appears in the Battle Breakdown section in the 1970 TV21 annual in the purple and magenta duotone spreads and his still is very distinctive. The Sword annual paintings are equally as professional, but by a different hand again. The Beetle in the Letts Diary is a slightly foreshortened copy of the one in the annual, but transferred to a lunar landscape. Again, this is another different artist! Its a minefield! Bill
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame GACCH vanished Bill isn't it. It listed all the artists of the Annuals where possible. Interesting observations. I was thrilled way back when Gerry Embleton responded.
DeleteI showed this to the Missus and she instantly squealed " Look & Learn!"
ReplyDeleteI love those 60's illustrators.
How I wish I could paint like those Gaptain Scarlet end titles!
Yep, genius art for sure Looey. Look and Learn art is just wonderful I agree. You can still buy original pieces!
DeleteI am unfamiliar with Ron Embleton but that illustration is stunning. SFZ
ReplyDelete