OK readers, with the Easter bunny not quite ready to hop round, I thought I'd take five and tinker with my Space Stations again. I've got two variations on the go and I thought I'd progress the dark radar model.
I've attached the white cone tail to the blue fuselage. The tail detaches so I can use it on the red radar version too.
After several coats of yellow paint I'm at long last able to insert the booms. These are weighted at the ball ends. On the original SpaceX toy these would have created the balancing effect like two forks stuck in a spud!
I've also attached the small red space jet to a micro magnet and all that remains to do with this model now are a few finishing touches: decal, racing stripes, boom solar panels and boom ships. The stand is a challenge for both versions, which I'll leave till the very end.
In true DIY style, just as I removed the white tail, the plug holding it in place detached! The pressure pulling off the cone is too much for superglue. Placing it over a small beaker allowed me to see if it does indeed show signs of balancing. Amazingly it does but I won't hold my breath for the finished product!
There was just time before tea to add another coat of metallic red to the telescoped 'dish' of the red radar version. I'm still not convinced about the shape. It looks too tall.
I'm waiting for two plastic drumsticks to arrive in the post. These will be the booms for this model. In the meantime two felt pens suffice and with the tail attached its also starting to take shape.
So far the thing I'm most pleased with is the silver pilot's dome and fuselage combo of this version, which you can see now sports a magnetic docking for the little blue jet. I love those micro magnets! The fuselage requires a decal and some racing stripes and then its onto the tricky area of how best to attach the telescopic cup to the dome. But that will have to wait till the next glue-smeared installment!