I remember Kraven, the big fur-wearing Hunter on old Marvel comics covers.
Not really knowing the Kraven origin story I was intrigued enough to watch the recent Marvel TSG movie of the same name last night in Netflix.
Having been disappointed by other fringe Marvels and DCs - Morbius, Black Adam, Shazam to name three - my hopes weren't high. But, I like B-list heroes and villains getting their day in the sun, whether it be toys, games, series or films.
I recognised the lead in Kraven from the Brian Cranston Godzilla flick - he was the expressionless soldier son - and I wasn't heartened. He'd got himself jacked up for the part, but somehow he didn't seem fierce. He moved like Wolverine yet lacked Wolvie's wildness. He was just too nice. He lacked teeth.
The Rhino was interesting and for me a first in film. I loved the character as a kid watching Spiderman cartoons in the Sixties. We should have seen more of the Rhino and less of the smiling actor.
The other characters - his Dad ( was that Russell Crowe?) and the Niles Frasier-like brother - were incidental fluff really, the main interest being Kraven and Calypso, a character new to me.
I read Kraven was a huge financial failure and critical disaster, which is a shame for Marvel.
These lesser heroes and villains have a hard time in the cinema.
Let's hope this month's Clayface fares better for DC.
Have you seen Kraven?
No comments:
Post a Comment