Hello Bloggiversary Moonbasers!
Seeing Bob's full-size Lost In Space robot brought back good memories for me.
I got a call about making a LIS robot for a Mitsubishi Star Wagon TVC in the late 80's.
Unfortunately it seems my work in progress photos are not digitized, so you'll have to wait for another time there (unless you have Flint Mitchell's book "You can build the Lost in Space Robot" which features an article from Science Fiction Modeler Magazine about how I did it!)
The robot was carved from styrofoam and plastic sheet but didn't include the foot sections. The head bubble was commissioned from a Sydney plastics fabrication company and it's close, but not perfect.
The photos show the costume on it's support cradle and on the set built for the TVC with me inside acting all robot like, After the commercial aired, an Entrepreneur named Glen Ware who was also an absolute LIS fanatic tracked me down and got me to make two complete robots (which took a LOT longer than 11 days as I tried to make them as good as I could). He then organized a stage show called "Never Fear, Smith is here" starring Jonathan Harris and I got to act on stage with him, making me the only person who has acted opposite Smith apart from Bob May.
After that show, Glen organized another show with Dick Tufeld and Bob May with my suit as you can see. I also built a full size Robotoid dummy, but I never solved how to make the large clear bubble...
I sold my Robot to the Powerhouse Museum for their Universal Machine exhibit -it still has Bob May's autograph on the bubble!
Oh, the joys of my youth!
Looey
Oz






This reminded me of the old argument LIS fans had over the program: did Jonathan Harris as Dr. Zachary Smith "make" the show, or did he ruin it? There were passionate arguments on each side. Some feel that the more serious first season episodes in black and white, where Smith's character was somewhat "subdued," actually brought forth Irwin Allen's original Sci-Fi concept better than Seasons 2 and 3, the color episodes, where the series devolved directly into broad farce and "camp," and where Smith's flamboyant character became front and center. Me, I liked both interpretations of LIS, and never took sides. It was like two different series in a way. What do Moonbase Readers think? SFZ
ReplyDeleteI agree, the Smith character, and network pressures brought on by the campy success of Batman television series did a lot to degrade the series (other programs as well). I held out hope for the show as a kid until the end. The premise of a family together, struggling to survive in a hostile universe. Living aboard a cool spaceship, with other futuristic goodies, hit home for me due to other life circumstances at the time.
DeletePlus I got hooked on the props, and blinking light computers. The show and scfi in general, influenced me to a 40 year career in aerospace electronics. I guess not all bad.
Oh yes indeed - Lost in Space helped create a whole generation of Sci-Fi and Space nuts. I actually think the “evolution” of LIS accurately mirrored the evolution of human culture at that time - going from over-serious and humorless to light-hearted and expansive. SFZ
DeleteLooey,
ReplyDeleteGreat writeup. I recall seeing some pics of your robot. It took me a decade to build up the courage to build mine. Not much reference material available back in those information dark ages. Build Technology was not the best either. Today, I see guys 3d printing their robots in a mere month. It took me years. Hope to see more build pics some day.
Wow, on stage with Jonathan Harris. That must be a very special memory. What was it like inside the Robot ?
ReplyDeleteLoved Doctor Smith. Totally mad.
I met Billy Mumy, Angela Cartwright and Mark Goddard at movie conventions in the early 2000s. (Jonathan Harris was gone by then.). Mumy was bright and engaging, Cartwright was a blithe spirit and accomplished artist, and Goddard was a roaring drunk! SFZ
DeleteIt was reasonably roomy.
DeleteI discovered the clear plastic grilles in the neck and around the base of the body are actually there to help the operator to navigate!
The custom neon glass tube and power supply were extremely heavy - today, you'd just use LEDs.
I put little strobe bulbs in the hands to simulate lightning discharges, but never got them to work properly...
It was all such a learning experience...