Mattel's Major Matt Mason line of toys was hands down one of the best space toys ever made. Besides being an innovative and extremely clever line, capturing the zeitgeist of the space race perfectly, the marketing and packaging for the toys was second to none. The bright bold colours, clear type and colourful photography fairly shouted from the toy shelves and the large displays of boxes and carded models were a huge draw at Xmas.
Although the larger toys all came in stout boxes, the majority of the equipment and figure packs were on large cards, with bold photography and graphics. But towards the end of the line in the early seventies, Mattel released four sets of equipment in boxes too. I recall in the late sixties, going in to a toy shop to buy the Gamma Ray-Gard and seeing both the boxed and the carded versions for sale. As the carded version was a little cheaper, my Dad insisted I go for that option, but I secretly coveted the boxed one! Flash forward several decades and I found a Gamma Ray and a Power Suit with the box on ebay. The toys were almost pristine, but the intervening years had not done the boxes any favours.
As you can see from the original auction photos, poor storage, old sellotape and general wear had misshapen and dogeared the card and creased the boxes. Even so, I knew I had to have them, as they are really rare and being a bit of a completist, the boxes would be very satisfying to own.
They are both far from perfect, but the main photographs on both boxes are clean and clear and the overall impression is straight out of 1969!











I have to say, that's a cracking piece of box restoration, Bill. You've really enhanced this vintage treasure.
ReplyDeleteThanks Tony - it was all thanks to the iron and greaseproof paper!
DeleteThat is a really nice restoration job on the boxes. They look much better now.
ReplyDeleteI really love MMM toys. As a kid I was already into the original GI Joe's (Action Man) and didn't want to get involved in another large scale series of toys. As an adult collector there's just no room to put these, but I still enjoy looking at the photos
ReplyDelete