Too young to have collected them at the time, I was recently talking about Civil War News with my older brothers, who did collect them back when they were kids in the Sixties.
My only real experience of these American gum cards was as a collector and toy dealer.
I first came across them in the early 1990's in a TV ToY Zone catalogue from Andy Foley - I adored those catalogues and they were my springboard - and I went on to buy a complete set in an ABC album for £60 from a fellow collector, Alex B.
This full set was fabulous and came complete with a superb set of paper bank notes i.e. confederate money (I think it was confederate).
The odd thing is, neither of my brothers could recall these bank notes. I wonder if they were unusual in the UK or maybe even rare? Then again they may well have been mail-ins and only available to kids who sent in whatever.
Does anyone know about the Civil War News bank notes? Where there any other sidelines to the cards?
As a footnote, I was amazed to hear one of my brothers mention the gory aliens cards from the same period. He meant Mars Attacks! I was stunned that they were around long enough in the UK to have become known by kids. Then again, I did find a full set at a car boot sale, so they were around here in Blighty. I wonder how far across the globe they went and for how long?
Did you have any Mars Attacks cards?

There was a complete re-release of loads of Topps cards in the 90s, i had the Mars Attack cards and the 60's Batman Bubblegum cards along with the Betty Page cards too
ReplyDeleteYes, I got a set of reissue Mars Attacks MJ. I thought about getting Dinosaurus but didn't, although I love the artwork.
DeleteYes, Woodsy. Each UK card came with a Civil War banknote. I still have a wad of them in the attic.
ReplyDeleteReally. Was the card folded round the card Brian?
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI don't recall if the note was wrapped around the card, or along side it. There are 15 in the set. They're often on Ebay and not expensive.
DeleteI remember the Civil War cards. I didn't collect them, but my friend down the road did. He had a bunch of the Confederate bank notes. I seem to recall they were printed on a textured paper, like real bank notes. The illustrations were pretty horrific, I remember seeing a soldier impaled on a rotating spiked barricade.
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw Buster Keaton being chased down a hill by one of them in "The General" I was really worried for him!
There was also a series of WW2 gum cards with similarly gruesome illustrations.
I recall a US frogman being shot in the back as he tried to mine a Japanese destroyer..
Eeeew! A kinder, gentler age.
Great vivid memories Looey! I have a feeling those WW2 cards were called Battle.
DeleteGreat article, Woodsy. I love old gum cards. I enjoyed reading the comments and memories.
ReplyDelete