Monday, 15 June 2026

Brian Johnson R.I.P.

News is filtering through that special effects director, Brian Johnson has sadly passed away.  
Our sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

11 comments:

  1. Very very sad news Scoop, Brian was a pillar of the special effects world. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the man was a true gentleman, and will be greatly missed by the fan community. I last chatted to Brian at the Space 1999 event in London about electric vehicles of all things. A lovely guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky to meet him Scoop. Great memories.

      Delete
  3. A sad loss.
    Definitely a miniature SFX legend, alongside Derek Meddings, for both his Oscar winning movie work, and for his Anderson TV stuff.
    I too met him, briefly, whilst working on Jamie Anderson's pilot for Firestorm.
    He seemed like a decent bloke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly an inspiration, Mish.
    I wish I could have met him.
    You worked on Firestorm? Most impressive!
    I love Brian Johnson's story about working on Thunderbirds, when Stanley Kubrick tried to acquire the C21 model shop to work on 2001: a Space Odyssey.
    Gerry said "NO!"
    Brian jumped ship and Gerry said
    "You'll never work in this town again!"
    - or words to that effect.
    Luckily for everyone, his words did not ring true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story Mish about Kubrick, Gerry and Brian. Ive read that too somewhere. Each went on to great things after all.

      Delete
  5. Here's a tribute to Brian Johnson from the Anderson YouTube channel
    https://youtu.be/g4DywVnoL0Y?si=gq6MTEoh6agJw3wX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments , guys. Brian was a top bloke, and very well liked by the fans. His passing has certainly prompted a lot of activity on social media, not only for Space:1999, but 2001 and Star Wars as well. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that there's not really much interest on here for him. You'll be missed, Maestro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one really hurts

    ReplyDelete