In early July I picked up an incomplete Dinky FAB1 at the excellent Timeless Toys shop in Filey. Priced £10, I got it for £8, along with two action figs for £7.
In really good nick, I was very happy with this FAB 1.
I had one and adored my original as a kid, so I was excited at the idea of repairing this second-hand one.
Not wanting to spend much on the project and being happy with a homemaker, I decided I would only buy the one thing I would struggle to replicate, the canopy, and finagle the rest.
I began by mixing some different pinks to create as close a match to the famous colour. The result wasn't perfect but from a distance it looks fine.
Next I whittled a tiny grille mascot out of a bit of rubber, glued it on
and re-silvered the grille along with the mascot and bumpers.
Wanting to da e on the figures for now, I made Lady P and Parker out of Fimo.
Glued in with PVA, which could be removed should I get some proper figures, the FIMO pair won't look half-bad when the canopy's on I reckon.
Similarly the famous steering wheel can wait and this red button ersatz will give the impression just fine.
Next up Penelope's eyes
And matchstick harpoons
Not precious about the front missile colour, I used a green cap I had spare. Alas, putting it in I removed the mascot, which promptly vanished on the floor!
With a new repro canopy, DIY mascot and a rub-down, the pink Rolls was ready.
It all came together rather well.
Our Granddaughter donated two swimming earplugs as spare missiles too. In Lady Pink!
The repro canopy from Steve Flowers was just the job and made the whole car come alive.
The rear harpoon matchsticks work too!
Under the misty roof my FIMO figures look OK I think.
And a bit of Dolcelatte packaging made a half-decent display ramp.
The final touch was a fabulous box template courtesy of Bill's graphical talents. I found a sushi blister to top it off.
The box plinth put together, the car looks right at home.
I prefer the plinth blister packaging to the box, although I wouldn't mind that as well, especially with the display insert.
The kitchen cupboard blister isn't half bad and all in all I'm really chuffed with this shoestring Dinky FAB1. I'm sure many of you could do a better job but I'm happy enough and finished it in time for bloggiversary.
It displays well with it's modern plastic 2000 Carlton counterpart too.
And to finish here's the Carlton miniature on the Dinky plinth.
Parker did well reversing it in there!
Have you restored a FAB1?






















No comments:
Post a Comment