▼

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Cast Aside! Bob's SpaceX Moon Buggy Recasts

Woodsy

My Moon Buggy was missing its astronaut driver. 

 I found one similar in size, and pose. It was made in flexible plastic.

First picture is of Moon Buggy with original wheels, and new proposed driver candidate.


I decided to recast the driver as well as repair the wheels' teeth. Then recast new wheels. The astronaut was rather thin, and under proportioned. I decided I wanted to make a new solid resin recast of a "thicker" bodied astronaut driver, to look more like the original.

I rebuilt the back side of the astronaut's body, and helmet to more respectable proportions using miliput putty. Sculptured some space suit details in. Then I mounted on toothpicks for air escape holes, and a resin pour hole for after it was casted in molding rubber. Air bubbles at this scale, are a killer to success!



Some pictures of molding making for Moon Buggy wheels also attached.


Final result pictures coming.

Bob A
USA

5 comments:

  1. That's looking most promising, Bob. Very curious to see the final result!
    Best -- Paul V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work - way beyond my pay grade! SFZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Super Bob. Part 2 tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lewis P morley9/30/2026 11:29 pm

    Lovely work Bob. Nothing like a bit of silicone rubber to aid one's modelling skills!
    I agree, bubbles can be a killer. I faced that problem when I was casting clear Urethane resin components that needed to be crystal clear.
    My answer was to buy a spray painting pressure pot from eBay. I replaced the paint outlet fitting, with an on/off air valve from (Home Depot).
    Then I would place my filled mould inside the pot, clamp it shut and connect it to my air compressor. When the resin had set, I'd crack the valve to equalise the pressure before removing the mould.
    A little complex to set up initially, but the results are amazing and quick!

    P.S. once you have this set up, you quickly start pressure potting your silicone moulds during manufacture, to eliminate any air bubbles to begin with. Otherwise, the pressure can collapse any bubbles in the rubber and they will form blisters on your castings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good engine bells too

    ReplyDelete