▼

Friday, 21 August 2026

The Snow on the Telly

 I seem to recall the test card was followed by snow on the telly.

Snow. That odd fuzzy whiteness peppering the screen with its stzzssssssss hiss.

Interference.

But from whom?

Quite creepy really, especially when you were told by someone that it was the background radiation from the Big Bang! 

Cosmic!

The end of the TV day took us the beginning of time! 

How cool was that?

Do you remember TV snow where you were? Does it still exist on TVs or is it just an analogue echo of boomer childhoods?

11 comments:

  1. Don't see static now.
    I guesse we just get stuff via satellites or microwave towers now, so no access to the rest of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, we are alone once more Mish.

      Delete
  2. Yep, the radio signals that tvs used to pick up were partly the remains of the energy from the big bang. That did start out as light and microwaves but the expansion of the universe stretched it into radio waves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kev. Did you're physics students appreciate your knowledge of such things?

      Delete
    2. I think they appreciated the one-liners more!

      Delete
    3. I once heard a kid quote me, "as Mr Davies said, No, No and No,....in that order!".

      Delete
    4. That's very quotable Kev! I mean Sir! 😂

      Delete
  3. In some parts of the world, kids try the Poltergeist deal with snowy CRTs

    CRTs could even (allegedly) be tornado sensors

    https://iowaweather.com/the-weller-method-of-tv-tornado-detection/
    https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/32/10/1520-0477-32_10_380.pdf

    The 1955 Blackwell tornado was said to glow.

    Other monsters
    http://www.phenomena.org.uk/tornadoes/page125/page125.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating stuff Anon. The mention of Poltergeist always brings to mind a single creepy phrase. They're Here!

      Delete