Sunday, 16 August 2026

Blast-Off Space Rocket: Pumped Up!

 

There's a lot going on on the card art of this air and water rocket and that's just the bit we can see.

There's a powerful looking space plane bottom right, which looks great, but it's the two firing units further up that intrigue me. What are they? Nacelles? They look like they're contained within a gantry of sorts.

And I wonder what that craft is behind the toy. There's a hint of Thunderbird 2!

Do you like it? Anyone got one? 

*

Postscript,

Mystery mostly solved!

Thanks to eagle-eyed Looey and Arto (thanks!) we now know the main image of the structures was by Patrick Woodroffe, as it appeared in his 1976 book, Mythopoeikaon (which I've got! Doh!)


It also graced the covers of Space Wars Worlds and Weapons.

That just leaves to space rocket bottom right to ID now.

5 comments:

  1. Lewis p Morley8/16/2026 2:09 am

    That weird ship is a straight steal from a Patrick Woodrofe illustration.
    I had the Merit water rocket as a kid and I remember the box art from that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For complete illustration see pic 11/12 here

      https://www.ebay.com/itm/204214794474

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks guys! Yep, Patrick Woodroffe Looey! And it was right under my nose, I got that book as a gift from my Dad in 1977 Arto! Doh! Still got it!

      Delete
  2. Water rocket
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0EczgLYS7I4&pp=ygUMU2NvdHQgTWFubGV5

    Zero X
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=El-VJeSLTUk&pp=ugUEEgJlbg%3D%3D&ra=m

    ReplyDelete