Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Bill Ev's Thunderbirds Fun with AI

Woodsy,

I know it's fashionable to criticise AI. But I see it as simply an extension of the creative process. Really not too different to an electric guitar, or a sequenced synthesiser, or 3D printing as opposed to carving. [And I am both a musician and a qualified fine arts artist] and I don't object to AI...

But I digress. Here are some AI sequenced photos of our stringed friends, processed to look like real people. I recognise that not everyone will see the resemblance. But if I'd spent hours and hours trying to make them look completely realistic, the illustration would still not look right to some.

   

Plus, a meme I saw online that made me chuckle! 


Also attached is a teaser of the start of restoration work on the 1966 issue of the Dinky FAB 1.

 

When I was about 7, I broke off the radiator mascot. Having a close inspection of the original photos, I can see that the original issue had a stylised 'P' instead of 'RR' and the mascot looks remarkably like a rocket!

This looks almost identical to the FAB 1 radiator mascot in the new Thunderbirds series. Clearly WETA Digital must have been inspired by Dinky's solution to get around the image issue, whether be it for copyright reasons or product placement prohibition for children.

We'll see if my carving and filing skills with solder are still up to scratch. [Now I really could do with AI!]

Bill Ev.

5 comments:

  1. I agree Bill. In that second photo Robert looks a lot more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shame they made the Prof a woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i agree... I could have added more information about tweaking the image when I tried it out, and it was slightly disappointing that the Prof came out somewhat with feminine looks...

      But it was just playing around with the programme and didnt want to waste time on something that was just essentially playing around.

      AI is a great instrument but that is all it is.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bill,
    nice work!
    By coincidence I'm discussing AI with Bill Wotan (because I've used it recently for a card where I didn't have time and base material to do an honest bit of photoshoppery as I've always done) and realised it made me feel like an art director again, directing an illustrator (asI've often done in the past) who in this case wasn't human but very very fast. So the idea is all mine, but I haven't touched a pencil, brush or mouse to make it with my own hands. The instruments/tools you mention you all still operate with your own hands (or model the shape to be printed). To my mind this is a useful distinction that works - art director vs artist even tough both have to be creative and have the conceptual idea to begin with.
    Best -- Paul V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing the photo of Scarlet and Blue has got me thinking. It's reminiscent of that famous photo by David Bailey of the Cray Twins!

      Delete