Tuesday, 15 September 2026

My Shampoo Supercar: A Birthday 'Plaston' Splash!

For a while I've toyed with the idea of a home-made Plaston Supercar. 

Ever since first seeing one on the net in the 90's I've been in love with this rare soft plastic Anderson beast. 

Here's a rare and fab original.

Beyond my meagre Yorkshire purse I decided to go for it and tinker up my own Plaston for the blog's 18th. A coming of age gift.

As I often do, I began with a shampoo bottle!


I flattened the back-end, cut out a cockpit hatch and inserted seats.


Beads were added and straw sides too.


With all the bits ready I gave the main body a few coats of crimson.


Disaster struck at the very end, when I attempted to touch-up the nose with a paint pen. Along with a big finger print in wet paint it became a mess.

I've ordered another can. This time neon red.

In the meantime I've Inserted a temporary stand and modelled a couple of ersatz canopies. This one is a great size but the shape's all wrong.


Another bit of touching-up before more red coats, this thin tubing made a neater job of the seat edge than my earlier effort.


The gap behind the nose is still bothering me. Time for some filler.

The accessories were cut and given an initial coat of lemon yellow.


I completely resprayed supercar - I still wasn't totally happy but I left it there - and added one keen Mike Mercury.


With all the trimmings fully painted I glued them into position. 

It's getting there. 


A scout around the bathroom gave me a shower gel bottle bottom, which emptied and cut out made for a decent clear canopy.

The final touch was a yellow and red stand made from my bits box and some weights in the rear end to keep supercar in flight mode whilst sat on it.

Done! 

Shampoo Supercar!

Hope you like it.


You can't really beat the fantastic Plaston original but here's a final comparison.

My home-made model.


And the glorious and rare Plaston Supercar.

12 comments:

  1. a thing of rare beauty! Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta mate. I've renamed my Mike Mercury Dan Druff! 😂

      Delete
  2. Pure toy magic! I'm in awe, well done Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arto, that's very kind. It was fun to do.

      Delete
  3. I love it! Great job! It inspires one to look at shampoo and deodorant bottles in a whole new way. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, one man's trash is another man's treasure Bob!

      Delete
  4. Glorious! You have a real knack for seeing the potential in bits-&-pieces Woodsy - Superjob on Supercar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ed, much appreciated. All good clean fun!

      Delete
  5. Takes an exceptionally creative mind to improvise at this level. A truly super Super Car, Woodsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so kind Tone. Much obliged. Retirement helps. I've got time on my hands ... And super glue! Ha ha.

      Delete
  6. Really an extraordinary creation - Bravo! SFZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely piece of work, Woodsy. Instantly recognisable. And very evocative.
    Best -- Paul

    ReplyDelete