▼

Saturday, 3 October 2026

Philip's Cake Topper Space Diorama via Paul V

Paul,

My name is Phillip Gore and I live in Trussville, AL (USA). I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed viewing the Triang Spacex website that you helped put together. I just found this site a few weeks ago when I started looking for information on the LP Hong Kong 1"(30mm) Spacemen figures and Mercury Capsule. Like probably a lot of middle aged male adults, I had these toys as a very young boy. I still recall the great times I had playing with them and the great memories they brought.

I recently was fortunate enough to purchase an old "Cake Topper Space Exploration" set on eBay for the very low price of $17.00 dollars (US). I was originally buying the set for the blue LP Mercury Capsule and had no interest in the other pieces that came with it. I was very surprised and extremely pleased when I saw the set also included three of the 1"(30mm) Spacemen! They were in white plastic with a good bit of flash on them so that is probably why I could not make them out from the eBay photos.

Anyway, I decided to rework the Spacemen and Mercury Capsule and put them in a lunar landscape diorama. I am a plastic model builder so it was easy to make the upgrade. I wanted to share what I have done with you. Attached are photos of the parts and final display. The modifications made are listed below:

Spacemen: trimmed off plastic flash and added a new paint job

Mercury Capsule: Added new wheels and axle, added hands and paint job to pilot, filled in and sanded/reshaped nose cone section, sanded away glue buildup on heat shield/retro rocket package, drilled rocket nozzle openings, repainted interior black and exterior blue

I hope you enjoy the photos. Thanks again and take care.

Phillip Gore
USA









*

Kindly forwarded by Paul Vreede

4 comments:

  1. That is very ingenious in design, and layout. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I replied to Philip, it's a beautiful little diorama. He's taken some very simple toys and turned them into little gems. The detailing is superb and that transparent case makes for a most effective presentation. What I particularly like is the very realistic paint and setting while it's clear they're still toys because he's left the bases on the figures and the wheels on the capsule. Very subtle. :)
    Best -- Paul V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - a nicely minimal display, walks the line between toy and model. Have you any other space models Philip? Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvelous Mercury Capsule! SFZ

    ReplyDelete