Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Deo Ray: my DIY 'Fairylite' Birthday Stingray

 Spurred on by my Fondant Fireball I thought I'd complete the hat-trick and make another toy I never had.

The gorgeous Fairylite Stingray.

Predicting it to be much harder than the first two creations, I mustered my materials. A plastic carton of milk was decanted into a glass one and it's handle cut off and a suitable boat was found.


Not wanting to use the old boat I then opted for a roll-on deodorant container minus it's ball.


I cut the milk bottle handle to shape and glued it on.


A further bit of the milk bottle provided the conning tower. Tne torpedo outlets camie courtesy of a heated screwdriver held flat on the plastic.


I then sprayed it in grey primer and smoothed over the joints with modelling clay. A periscope support got added by way of a crafting jewel teardrop.


With dorsal fins glued on, the whole was sprayed grey several more times.


I then tested my yellow acrylic top coat.


And the two blues up top were done too.


A stand was made and a rate master came courtesy of the tomato puree tube.


And the final garnishes of periscope, side and rear fins and a baseplate meant the deo ray was ready to roll! 

Hope you like it.


Standby for action! 

Here's an original Fairylite toy


Here's my deodorant version.

And here's it is with its two other home-made stablemates, the early Gerry Anderson trio.

11 comments:

  1. A terrific trio that would make the likes of Derek Meddings proud, Woodsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta very much Tone. I'm more of a bodger than a biulder 😂

      Delete
  2. Lovely work, it always amazes me how you get such a good likeness from tat and manage to get such disparate items to actually glue together! Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much obliged Bill. There's not a single shampoo bottle in the house I havent studied! 😂

      Delete
  3. Who needs Century21 when we have Woodsy the toy magician!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woodsy, you are "The Little Toymaker" himself! SFZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a natural at this Woodsy.
    Fabulous inventive work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lewis P morley9/16/2026 9:23 pm

    Like your Supercar, most impressive!
    Your kitbashing (or in your case, packagebashing!) skills are really developing...
    I wonder if a Skydiver Bubble Bath toy might be on (or under) your horizon!

    ReplyDelete