Just in time for the 18th bloggiversary, I thought I'd have a crack at making the superb OK Toys Transcontinental Express Bus, as seen in various Gerry Anderson shows (covered here many times, click on the label below).
Here's an original toy. How I would have adored it as a kid! Did you own one? Do you?
Anyways, as luck would have it I bought some acrylics in Home Bargains and bam! That plastic box they came in spoke to me.
It said, OK Toys!
I then remembered an old compartmentalised clear bits box in the greenhouse and that had passenger area written all over it too!
Yep, the project was a go!
I began with some simple cardboard seating.
The passenger part was inserted into the plastic paint box. A front dash was added.
I built up the front with Lego and staples. My Silver paint didn't work well.
The bus's sides were made of coloured card.
Wheels were courtesy of drinks bottle tops I'd stored for a rainy day.
More card for the roof and a shaped raft of kebab skewers covered in foil made a decent side panel. The bottle top tyres were painted black.
The passenger box was re-inserted and the Missus' craft supplies sorted out all the button hubcaps, front and rear jewel lights, top three bell lights and side jewel portals. The front bumper got silver foiled.
And done!
The bus is now departing from Moonbase. All aboard!
*
Here's an original OK Toy
And here's my home-made effort done on a drizzly Friday in the kitchen.
Status Quo's Dog of Two Head on loud, what fun I had with at that superglue!























That is an amazing transformation. You can turn anything in to a stunning replica of a TV craft or toy. One of your best yet.
ReplyDeleteGood lord! Your vintage toy simulacrums are stunning. They absolutely floor me. These one-of-a-kind scratch-builds are gonna go for a King’s Ransom when your estate is auctioned off - probably at Sothebys!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd what really makes these genius pop-culture artifacts unique for me is that they were totally fabricated from existing bits of cultural ephemera - no cheating by using AI breakdowns, 3D printing, or fancy custom aftermarket parts (the Lazy Man’s toolset)!
You are a modern incarnation of the hallowed tradition known as the “folk artist”, my friend.
SFZ
You've given us a masterclass in the art of ingenious improvisation, Woodsy. Has to be said, you're darn good at these fab creations of yours 👍
ReplyDeleteThat's a fine scratchbuild! I like the slightly lowered roofline for the driver's cab, it looks like a "chopped top" custom version!
ReplyDelete