Friday, 24 July 2026

Hi Ya! It's all in the Deetail

 On a trip out with pals I had a major memory surge when I saw this toy in an antiques shop.

It's the Britains Deetail Karate Kung Fu figures on a metal base. God I adored this thing in the early Seventies, when I was Kung Fu mad. One of those little icons of the Bruce Lee era that captivated my young mind.

I also recall Britain's Mini-Sets, which I loved too, like the Police Rider or the Army Dispatch Rider or the green Mortar set.

I'm not sure if the Karate pair were a Mini-Set, but boy seeing it again gave me a real kick! At £19 though I left them sparring. 

Did you have Britains Deetails or Mini-Sets? 

7 comments:

  1. I was never a fan of Britains figures.
    They were generally made from one colour of plastic, with painted details, which wore off with play.
    I prefered Timpo or Tempo (I think) figures with each element cast in the appropriate colour plastic.
    More durable play value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some of the Britains figure assembly kits.
    Namely the helmet diver with the octopus and the Frogmen with shark.
    I recall there was also a Soccer scene.
    What over themes were there in the series, Moonbasers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Adams from New Zealand7/25/2026 12:37 am

    Britains Deetail range were the ones with plastic figures and metal bases. Including some heavy weapons, such as mortars and machine-guns.
    The Mini-Sets were smaller all-plastic sets, comprising two or three figures and a base. I never saw any of these in the shops in New Zealand.
    There was also a range of 1/32nd scale motorbikes, but these were totally out of my price range.
    I had no idea Britains did any Karate figures. These look like Deetail figures, with a metal base ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Karate figures were a very limited release in the Deetail line, probably only available for one year. Before Britains went under completely, it was diversifying into other areas apart from military and farm models. There were a series of hospital setting figures, patients in bed and doctors and nurses. The Deetail line was primarily military, with an American team with a recoiless rifle, a german mortar and other similar figures. Unfortunately, the expansion of the lines didnt take off and the karate and hospital figures went the same way as the Mini Sets had done, some two years earlier, as Britains trimmed back their output before being sold off to another company in 1984. https://britainsfarmtoys.co.uk/britains-history/
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I have loads of the Deetail military figures, but have never seen the Karate ones. They must be very rare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Britains mini sets.....
    Cowboys and indians
    2 sets made
    Knights
    2 sets made
    Ww2 us infantry
    2 sets made
    Ww2 german and field
    Gun
    Tractor and driver
    Boy and horses
    Farmer and lamb
    Zoo keeper and crocodiles
    Footballers
    Acw union infantry
    Divers and shark
    Frogmen and octopus
    Think that was it but
    Maybe i missed a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab info everyone. Thanks. Maybe £19 for a loose Karate set wasn't too bad after all.

    ReplyDelete