Sunday, 21 June 2026

MAGIC COLOR MOON EXPRESS.

I've always liked this tin and plastic design with the big finned light-up dome. I bought something similar, a car type vehicle with the dome up top, in an old Greek toy shop in Rethymnon in the 90s.



I didn't know that Day F Ran released this train as well. Hakes listed this as theirs. I can't see Day F Ran on the box.


Day f Ran released a cheapo version of the project SWORD Space Glider. Really lovely and it's appeared on MC many times in the early days.

Have you got a Magic Express?

4 comments:

  1. Moon Express is one of the classic "mash-ups" of the toy world - a flying space train! SFZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. oft overlooked but a beautiful tin toy. We could all do with a magic train passing through. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful object!
    It reminds me of some Japanese tin toy trains I had, with comic art passengers printed on the windows.
    As a kid, I was a bit snooty about this. I always felt they should be dimensional figures -fully painted of course!
    These days I can appreciate the weird stylistic mixes of tin toys.

    My film pal Warren, is building an entire Japanese train layout. He's just ordered a brand new 3D printer, that can print his AI generated passenger figures in full shaded colours!

    I suppose my boyhood dreams of perfection are coming true, but maybe we are also losing something, as we allow the machines to do everything faster and better..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last line sounds like the Industrial Revolution Looey. Quite chilling. Still t he train is gorgeous. I must find it's companion, the magic colour car I bought in Greece.

      Delete