Sunday, 31 October 2010

They Glowed in The Dark

Halloween is always a trip down Memory Lane. I was chuffed to see this old cheap set of magic tricks online. I sooo remember the BIG MOUTH trick as if it was yesterday. My favourite jokes and novelties all came from an amazing mail order firm called Ellisdons. I got a Skull Jackinabox, a Restless Skeleton and loads more creepy stuff. I've a catalogue I'd forgotten about somewhere so I'll post a few bits. But the spooky toy I most hanker for was bought in a shop, most likely Thomas Mears in Preston, by my ever-patient Mum and Dad, GLOW GLOBS as pictured below. Basically Glow-Globs were shapes of luminous putty in day-glo colours. I had the set below with the scalliwag, ghost and ghoulie. They smelled great too! They were stuck to the side of my bedside cabinet so I could watch them glow as I fell asleep! It worked! I was gone in no time! Quite scarce now they occasionally surface on Ebay and there's a nice set on this cool Flickr site as well.

6 comments:

  1. I remember Glow GlobS! Wow! Very hard to work with, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never worked with them Toadster. Were you all in an Office together!

    hee hee. Samhain jape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Cheeky! ^_^

    Seriously, that was one difficult modelling material to use. I remember we had to warm it by the cooker before it became malleable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I really don't remember modelling with the stuff. I must have done. It makes sense that they had to be warmed up, cos the shapes had to stay solid in the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or maybe cos the stuff had to be held close to a light source? If it was too soft, it'd melt.

    ReplyDelete

the definitive guide to vintage thunderbirds toys - steve's thunderbirds vintage toys

BLOG EXCLUSIVES ARCHIVE: CUrrently out of order

Spacex Mobile Launch Pad Instruction sheet courtesy of reader Mike Burrows

Spacex Nuclear Pulse Instruction sheet courtesy of reader Mike Burrows

Tarheel Moon Prospector Instruction sheet courtesy of Woodsy

Snow Train and Hover Tank Make a Model Book Century 21 courtesy of Woodsy

Scout 3 Box copy to print out and make up by Woodsy and Wotan

BLOG EXCLUSIVE: TARHEEL PROBE FORCE 3 BOX ART AND INSTRUCTION SHEET DOWNLOAD

BLOG EXCLUSIVE: TARHEEL PROBE FORCE 3 BOX ART AND INSTRUCTION SHEET DOWNLOAD
Courtesy of Graeme Walker

Blog exclusive 3 - tarheel moon prospector instruction sheet - print-out a4 and keep!

KYUSHU THUNDERBIRDS MUSEUM

Blog Archive