Saturday, 28 February 2009
Friday, 27 February 2009
Wednesday, 25 February 2009
Specifically of interest to the blog is Issue 17's multi-page colour feature on Apollo Moon Exploration. In their own words the issue covers...
".....the awesome Marx Man From U.N.C.L.E. Target Gun Set in COLOR on our
centerspread pages with its THRUSH villains VS Napoleon Solo and the repressed,
but violent Illya Kuryakin. We also have some great Rex Mars 60mm figures and a
remarkable, never released store display(courtesy Francis and Jason Turner and
the Official Marx Museum). . .PLUS the wonders of the future in COLOR with the
Apollo Exploration playset. Here you'll feast on Jetsons-like space ships,
flying saucers and space sleds galore! But that's not all -- theres new Japanese
Assassins, New Replicants, a newly revised book on Britains all in review, plus
a New Market Report by the always-thinking Tom Stark. And if that's not enough,
we'll have some great ads, classifieds and news for your Saturday night toy
To buy this issue at the special blog price via Paypal:
- $6 per Issue 17 (SIX US DOLLARS)
- Add shipping - to UK/EU $5.40, Canada $2.20, US $1.68 per Issue 17
- Buy Issue 17 direct from Playset Magazine's website via Paypal ( you can opt to pay in US $ easilly)
- IMPORTANT: Write the codeword "blue" into the message box on your paypal payment and mention this blog
- The Paypal ID to send the money to is firstname.lastname@example.org (you'll need to copy and paste this into your Paypal payment)
Tuesday, 24 February 2009
Here are some pics of yet another different version of the SWORD Space Glider I picked up a couple of years ago.
It's based on the orange version of the Space Glider but has NASA stickers on it and no mention of Project SWORD.
Differences from the SWORD version are:
1. darker blue cockpit "glass"
2. blue switch at rear instead of silver
3. flat cylindrical protrusion on the underside of the nose
4. different stickers, obviously! The "NASA" stickers under the cockpit are placed over the line of small blue windows
5. different wheel housings - the NASA version has "open" housings with exposed metal axles, while the SWORD version has "closed" housings which fully enclose the axles
6. no nose antenna - instead the antenna's mounting holes have been filled in with mysterious "space jewels", with the holes re-shaped to accommodate them... One less thing to lose I suppose.
Best of all - it still works - I popped a couple of batteries in tonight and, surprise, surprise, it made a dreadful howl (which I assume was the "jet sound effects" referred to on the box of the SWORD version!), the wheels underneath spun around and the light in the nose flashed away merrily illuminating the "space jewels" brilliantly. I doubt that any self-respecting astronaut would have failed to find his way back to it.
In contrast my SWORD version didn't give a peep when I tried to switch it on... So much for saving the world...
Brilliant Tony! One I've not seen before. Love this detailed comparison and especially the nose jewels. Remind me of the Day Fran glider version. Woodsy
Monday, 23 February 2009
Sunday, 22 February 2009
Saturday, 21 February 2009
One of the most recognisable and unusual toys of the sixties was the Major Matt Mason (MMM) Space Crawler. Fantastic design and unique appearance made it an obvious target for the plagiarists. Apollo Moon Exploring sets made a beeline for MMM stuff and besides some small white vehicles which bear more than a passing resemblance to the Majors equipment Paks, they plunged straight in with a direct lift from the Mattel toy, copying the design and colour scheme pretty accurately. Eldons Billy Blastoff line also felt that their astronaut needed a crawler, so they took the basic idea and made it their own, adding an extra leg to the wheels for stability. Marx line of mid-size action figures, Johnny and Jane Apollo decided to grab a piece of the crawler action too and added a large, chunky vehicle to their line, but took the time to distinguish it considerably from the Mattel design by including a glass canopy and steering as well as the extra spindle on the wheel.
Finally, not to be left behind, Tri-ang Rovex sneaked in a rare model into their 1970 line of toys, the MoonMobile. Taking a pinch of Gerry Anderson and adding that to the mix, the Tri-ang machine has a slightly Flash Gordon feel to it with its streamlined body. The figure sitting in the cockpit has more than a little Captain Scarlet about his uniform and the rockets included with the toy are from the Dinky SPV, so Tri-ang obviously making full use of their co-company Meccano! Wotan.
Friday, 20 February 2009
The fabulous Hover Moon Base, Space Glider and Adventure: Now these little fellows I adore although they somehow passed me by as a kid ( then again I was 10 in 1970 and had discovered pop music!). The fabulous Hover Moon Base and fleet of spacecraft. Although a Spacex knockoff it did offer value for money as you got not one but two silver astronauts on the carded toys and a veritable academy of six in the box! Added to this were little plastic pieces of pink moonscape (they look pink in the pics!). So cool.
Thursday, 19 February 2009
Carded Apollo Moon Exploring (APM) sets - MM collection
Carded APM set - MM collection
Carded APM set - MM collection
Carded APM and Spacex/ Golden Astronaut - Darth collection
READ THE ESSENTIAL PROJECT SWORD COMICS HISTORY BY SHAQUI LEVESCONTE & KIM STEVENS
PROJECT SWORD SPACEX TIMELINE
- 1968 SPACEX LT10 CONCEPT
- 1966 SPACE GLIDER REAL THING
- 1969 LUNAR CLIMBER & MOONSHIP
- 1968 PROJECT SWORD ANNUAL
- 1968 TV21 #168 PROJECT SWORD PHASE 2
- 1968 PLEASURE CRUISER CONCEPT
- 1968 CENTURY 21 TOY MANUAL
- 1967 SCOUT 1 CONCEPT
- 1967 NUCLEAR FERRY TOY AD
- 1967 SWORD TOY AD
- 1967 SWORD TOY AD
- 1966 SPACE GLIDER CONCEPT
- 1966 HOVERTANK IN COMIC
- 1966 NUKE PULSE NEEDLEPROBE IN COMIC
- 1966 ZERO X FILM DEBUT
- 1966 MOONBUS IN COMIC
- 1966 SPACE PATROL 1
- 1966 P3 HELICOPTER IN COMIC
- 1966 SAND FLEA AND SNOW TRAIN
- 1966 MOBILE LAUNCH PAD IN COMIC
- 1965 SPACEX MOONBASE CONCEPT
- 1965 APOLLO FIRST UK TOY AD
- 1962 NOVA CONCEPT
- 1962 MOONBUS CONCEPT
- 1961 MOON PROSPECTOR CONCEPT
- 1953 MOLAB CONCEPT
BLOG EXCLUSIVES ARCHIVE: CUrrently out of order
Spacex Nuclear Pulse Instruction sheet courtesy of reader Mike Burrows
Tarheel Moon Prospector Instruction sheet courtesy of Woodsy
Snow Train and Hover Tank Make a Model Book Century 21 courtesy of Woodsy
Scout 3 Box copy to print out and make up by Woodsy and Wotan
PROBE FORCE 3 VARIATIONS
PROJECT SWORD, SPACEX AND APOLLO MOON EXPLORING LIST. KEY SS = SIMILAR TO SWORD, SB = Similar box
- T Moon Prospector artwork box
- T Moon Prospector Photo Box
- T Moon Ranger
- Tarheel (T) Space Glider USA
- Sears 3 Stage Rocket Base USA
- Century 21 (C21) Moonbase Playset UK
- C21 Zero X
- C21 Nuclear Ferry
- C21 Cape Kennedy Set
- C21 Apollo Saturn Rocket
- C21 Space Glider
- C21 Moon Ranger
- C21 Booster Rocket
- C21 Moon Prospector
- C21 Probe Force 1
- C21 Probe Force 2
- C21 Probe Force 3
- C21 Re-Entry Taskforce 1
- C21 Re-Entry Taskforce 3
- C21 Re- Entry Taskforce 2
- Century 21 Scout 1
- Century 21 Scout 2
- Century 21 Scout 3
- C21 Rocket Launcher - SS
- C21 Mobile Bridge & Combat Tank - SS
- C21 Moonship - SS
- C21 Lunar Climber - SS
- C21 Topo Gigio Camper - SB
- ► 2012 (1017)
- ► 2011 (849)
- ► 2010 (1000)
- GOLDEN ASTRONAUT BADGE AND CERTIFICATE
- SPACEX AND SWORD BY WOTAN
- ZZROBOT COLLECTION
- BLOG EXCLUSIVE 4 - PLAYSET MAGAZINE AT A DISCOUNTE...
- THE SPACEX NUCLEAR FREIGHTER AND THE WOMBAT BY WOO...
- NASA SPACE GLIDER - NEW TO THE BLOG - BY TONY PANT...
- KELLOGGS SPACE-AGE MOLAB
- SPACEX II CARDED NUKE FERRY, NASA GLIDER AND BOOST...
- THINDERBIRD 6 NOVA III LOOKALIKE PICTURES
- BANDAI THUNDERBIRD 2 POD VEHICLES
- CRAWLER CAVALCADE BY WOTAN
- NOVA III IS THUNDERBIRD 6 MR.TRACY
- HOVER LUNAR ROVER FROM WOTAN
- MAJOR MATT MASON AND APOLLO MOON EXPLORATION BY PA...
- MORE APOLLO EXPLORATION
- NEWSFLASH - THUNDERBIRD 6 ON TV
- HOVER MOON BASE AND CO.
- APOLLO MOON EXPLORING CARDED SET OF TWELVE 1970
- APOLLO EXPLORATION/ APOLLO MOON EXPLORING AND TOY ...
- HOOVER XL9 VARIANT OF PROBE FORCE 3 BY FERRYMAN
- ATS GRAVEYARD BY WOTAN
- STOP PRESS! NUCLEAR FERRY DEFINITIVE CONCEPT ORIGI...
- SPACEX ASTRONOMIC TELESCOPE SATELLITE (ATS) ORIGIN...
- PROBE FORCE 1 NEW DISCOVERY BY TERRY HARLE AND WOT...
- GRIM PROSPECTOR BY WOTAN
- SPACEX BOOSTER ROCKET ORIGIN BY PAUL VREEDE
- THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO ON TV
- NUCLEAR FERRY - FAB NEW PICTURES
- The Glory Days of Space by WOTAN
- MORE MEGA FORCE?
- PROBE FORCE 3 ON THE BRAIN
- RUBBER PROBE FORCE 3 FROM JAPAN
- MEV 2 ORIGIN BY PAUL VREEDE
- IMAI SCRAMBLE BUG SHOP DISPLAY CASE
- 1969 APOLLO MOONBASE WITH MOON PROSPECTOR
- 1962 DYNA SOAR COMIC STRIP
- SUPPLY FORCE MERCURY ORIGIN BY PAUL VREEDE
- KELLOGGS MOLAB
- NOVA ORIGIN BY PAUL VREEDE
- RECONNAISSANCE 2 ORIGIN BY PAUL VREEDE - HELP NEED...
- TARHEEL NOVA SERIES I,II & III
- LUNAR ORBITER ORIGIN BY PAUL VREEDE
- NUCLEAR FERRY SPACE WATCHES BACKING CARD ARTWORK B...
- ▼ February (43)